Budget support is meant to build democratic accountability for public funds and reduce the amount of red tape involved with donor transactions.
The challenge of budget support is to change the relationship between donors and recipient government as well as between governments and their citizens.
If this is not done, budget support is doomed to be no more than project support by a new name.
- Donors frustrate the objective of budget support by imposing policy conditions and performance targets.
- Democratic accountability be an automatic result of budget support – it has to be built.
- Donor don’t do enough to build democratic accountability.
- Donors still have better and earlier access to budget information than citizens.
- Donors participate in the budget process earlier than citizens and their representatives.
- By the time citizens and legislatures enter the budget process, donor agreements have large been finalized.
Read the full document here in English, Espagnol ou Francais.