This page contains Kenya county budgets, tools for analyzing them, information about the Kenya county budget process, information about public participation at the county level in Kenya, IBP Kenya’s assessments of county budget transparency, and analysis of specific Kenya county budgets.
Resources and Tools
- Synthesized Report of the Second Budget Practitioners’ Reflection and Learning Seminar 2019: A Focus on the Budget Implementation Stage (July 2020)
This report summarizes the proceedings of the Oct. 2019 Second Budget Practitioners Seminar (PS), whose focus was on the budget implementation at the county government level.
Read more »
- 10 Key Questions About Your County Audit Report (April 2019)
This guide provides some structured questions that will help the public, civil society organizations, and other agencies read and understand Kenya county Audit Reports
Read more »
Training Videos & Workshops
- Deliberating Budgets: An Example from Nairobi County, Kenya (February 2017)
In 2016, IBP Kenya began promoting a new approach to public engagement with budgets termed “deliberating budgets.” What does deliberation about the budget actually look like? This video captures highlights of budget deliberations from a February 2017 session of the County Budget and Economic Forum in Nairobi County, Kenya.
Watch Video »
- Kenya County Budget Workshop Training Materials (Updated September 2016)
These training manuals provide a series of participatory exercises for trainers and participants who wish to advance their understanding of the role of county governments and national government in managing public funds under the Constitution of Kenya, 2010 and the Public Finance Management Act, 2012.
Read more »
For older resources and tools, visit our archive »
Research and Analysis
- Review of Budget Documents Available Online for the 47 Counties (Updated March 2019)
- Review of Budget Documents Available Online for the 47 Counties (Updated September 2018)
- How Much Should Counties in Kenya Receive in 2018/19? (April 2018)
- Kenya: How Devolution Has Impacted Budgeting for Compensation and Distribution of Health Workers (April 2018)
- How Fair are Revenue Sharing Mechanisms in Fighting Intra-County Inequalities in Kenya? (April 2018)
For older research and analysis, visit our archive »
Media Statements & Press Coverage
- 29 September 2018: Counties advance towards budget transparency, Daily Nation
- 28 September 2018: Only 4 counties opened up budgets, The Star