People with physical and mental disabilities are vulnerable economically, socially, and physically and often rely on public services to meet their needs and the government to ensure their rights. Though this is a relatively new area of budget work, civil society organizations (CSOs) can use, and have used, budget analysis to assess policy proposals related to those with disabilities, monitor service delivery, and evaluate whether expenditures were effective.
CSOs that have analyzed budgets for their impact on people with disabilities have focused on public services critical to their well-being, including healthparticularly rehabilitative services, education and training, socioeconomic integration, and protection against discrimination. They have then used the evidence from their analysis to effectively advocate for the needs of disabled people.
Budget analysis not only can inform decisions about what would be the most efficient and effective use of public funds for disabled people but also can identify problems in budget execution that undermine policy goals and program effectiveness. For example, IBP partner Namys (Conscience) used budget analysis to identify problems in the procurement process for goods and services intended for disabled persons in Kazakhstan.
Civil society budget analysis focused on people with disabilities can:
- Raise awareness about their needs and rights
- Inform policy and budget debates
- Identify gaps in spending and problems in service delivery
- Describe trends in spending and assess its impact
NOTE: As this area of budget analysis grows, we will make more resources available on this page. If you would like to suggest resources that might be useful, please send them to [email protected].
- Direct Payment in Support of Persons with Disabilities in Europe
- Child-Focused Budget Study: Assessing the Rights to Education of Children with Disabilities in Vietnam
- Budgeting for Children with Disabilities in South Africa
- How do Children with Disabilities experience Poverty, Disability and Service Delivery